ForumsSoftware ← Virta Bug, no polyphony until changing preset.

Hey again! I've been greatly enjoying Virta for the last while. I had been hunting for a Vocoder/Vocal synth that would connect to the tuning system mentioned in my other recent thread, and that sounds good to my ears. Virta hits the mark on both counts, thanks a lot for that.

I've found one slighly annoying buggy behavior that I want to inform you of. It's not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know anyway.

Environment: 2007 iMac, M-Audio keystation. (Ancient stuff, I know...)
Plugin or software version: Virta, latest versions, both AU and VST
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
DAW: Reaper 6.34

Steps to reproduce: Load Virta, with Audio and MIDI being sent in from other tracks, and the MTS-ESP MIDI client plugin before it in the chain (it just converts regular MIDI into MPE with pitch bends to adjust tuning), set virtas Protocol to MPE. Load my vocoder preset in Virta, which is pretty much just the stock "Vocoder, nice 4 voice" preset but with the 256-band vocoder mode instead.

Reproducibility: Every single time.

Expected result: 4-voice vocoder behavior.

Actual result: Weird monophonic behavior. The MPE voice lights in the key section all light up one by one, starting with the second, then third, then fourth, and last the first one. I don't hear any sound from Virta until all four voices are active, and most of the time I only hear the last voice then. Strangely, this fixes itself when I page through some other presets, eventually returning to the vocoder preset, after that the polyphony works as expected.

Like I said, this is not a super big deal, since I can eventually get it to work every time. But it is a little annoying to go through that last step of arbitrarily loading a few different presets in a row, before the plugin works as intended. ;)

Hmm... something else I just realized, the same thing happens with this preset even when I use Virta in regular MIDI mode, without the MPE plugin before it.

Polyphony misbehaves the first time I load the 256-band vocoder preset, until I step through a few other presets (I've been just clicking the backwards preset arrow 5-6-7 times ish) and then return to the intended one. After that it works fine. Same behavior every time Virta loads in, both when loading a project file with Virta in it and when loading it on a new track. Very strange.

Thanks for the good report and the additional info. If it does it outside of MPE mode, that will make it easier for me to track down. I've made a bug report.

I don't test much in Reaper, so I wonder if this is an initialization problem in Virta that is triggered by Reaper. If you have a chance to try a different DAW, please let me know if you see the issue there. Thanks again.