I've finished version 1.5.0 of the Soundplane software. This release is recommended for all Soundplane owners. It fixes some possible crashes and has an entirely rewritten touch tracker, almost a year in development. The benefits of this new tracker should be obvious as soon as you play it!
Direct link: Soundplane 1.5.0.zip, 5.9MB
version 1.5 changes:
- new touch tracker algorithm:
- consumes much less CPU
- improved latency
- improved pressure sensitivity
- improved pressure uniformity
- improved position accuracy
- allows better tracking into corners
- lengthy normalization step no longer required
- fixed hanging touches
- fix Kyma connection
- improve selection of lowest-noise carrier set
- fix a possible crash when switching zone presets
- fixed a window-related crash on shutdown
- fixed latency issue when in background for an extended time
In case you missed it, you can see me playing a Satie piece using the new software here:
I'm taking on some "real pieces" in addition to improvising, to feel out what changes will make the next model of Soundplane the best instrument we can make it.
The documentation does not reflect many aspects of the new software yet. Please post in the forums or email me anytime if you have questions.
NOTE: to install this version of the software I recommend removing the existing files in ~/Library/Application Support/Madrona Labs/Soundplane. Then running the new version the first time will run the carrier selection and create new defaults.
After the new prefs are made, select "default" from the OSC destinations menu to get OSC flowing again.
NOTE: two people so far have run into an issue where after trashing the prefs and running, the new version starts to select carrier frequencies, then hangs at 0%.
Please be advised that this bug exists, so you may want to hold off on version 1.5.0 if you can't spare the time to possibly revert. If you do have time to install and try it out, please let me know your results and the OS you are running.
works fine here ... macOS 10.12.6 :)
Thanks. Sample size is very small, but so far the people having issues are on 10.10.5, and it's working for everyone on 10.12.x.
I am deploying the app for 10.9 and up, so running 10.10 shouldn't be a problem. But maybe it is for some reason. If you think of anything let me know!
unfortunately, all my macs are on 10.12 now, soon going to be testing 10.13
one thing, apple change the usb stack significantly on 10.11...
but for my development, the issues i encountered were the other way - things working on 10.10, started crashing on 10.11+ ( they have been slowly improving). that said, i didn't have to alter anything (other than ensuring the apps closed down the usb connection correctly).
sorry, not helpful, but perhaps useful to know why 10.10 is likely to be different to 10.12 (and probably 10.11/10.13)
is the code base now stable, and in GitHub? or are you still working on it?
are the changes done for the embedded/eurorack system?
if its not under going significant changes, Id like to update my fork, to bring in some of my changes (midi/note offset visualisation)...
and also use if for rPI etc (will be interesting to see performance impact on non-desktop systems)
Things have settled down. All the new work is in the "embedded" branch however. I need to merge to master, and also clean up the cmake and build instructions. Since there are not too many modules, it should be fairly simple to pull from the embedded branch and integrate with your own code in the meantime.
I made big changes to support the embedded work, but the work has not been done on the embedded system yet. The driver API is much more C-like now. it doesn't rely on a listener class and should be usable even in a single threaded environment. Let me know if you have any questions...